Friday, August 17, 2007

16: only shallow-- my bloody valentine

i had not, and still have not, heard anything that compares with my bloody valentine's 'loveless' album. it's not just the apex of shoegazing music, it is a seminal recording in the history of rock music. it, accordingly, blew my mind. it was noisy, layered, wistful, powerful. it captured in art something very cerebral and something very real. i cant remember what made my high school hands pick up this album, but i am eternally thankful that they did.

'only shallow,' the first track on 'loveless' captures the best of the band's breadth and depth. it is dreamy and lush. it is vibrant and sleepy at the same time. the song has a way of lulling you one minute and pounding you into submission the next. it was after i had heard this song, the first mbv song i ever encountered, that i was sold. i knew just through this one song that this band was playing a different game than most of the bands i listened to. it captured a certain mood that i couldn't quite put my finger on but it felt very familiar (some kind of hazy feeling on a warm day or something).

i honestly believe this song expanded my mind. it made me excited about the possibilities of what else was out there. there were sounds coming out of the speakers that i didn't even know existed before. i was put in a trance by this song's veiled magic and even today i am moved by its force and beauty. it is otherwordly. there are few things as rewarding as turning off the lights and putting this song on the stereo at full blast. it takes you somewhere else. i feel fortunate to have come across it when i did because it has informed my musical taste and broadened my aural horizons.

good-ness: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Fxr0D-CWN4

No comments: