Friday, August 3, 2007

29: why does it always rain on me?-- travis

perhaps it was fate that this song came out around ninth grade-- a time dripping with "why does it rain on me?" type questions, i guess. i think i was looking for something else to listen to, having felt disconnected from the new modern rawk trend by this time that 96rock was jumping all over. i also was watching mtv again and i think they played videos, at least occasionally, at this point. i do remember seeing this video and thinking that it captured how i felt at the time. which is incredibly lame. but when you're 15, such things cannot be helped.

this song, besides sating me with its hearttugging qualities, did several other things for me. it turned me on to more introspective, mellow music, at least for a while (i started listening to elliot smith and the like shortly thereafter). so it was a nice change from all that nu metal or whatever it was called. it also was one of the first songs i remember pursuing vigorously on the internet (and then listening to over and over again while i strained my eyes playing solitaire). and the song helped usher in the longrunning pleasure of namedropping a band most people hadn't heard of.

today, i still think the song is pretty good. every time i pull out this travis album, i am reminded of my adolescent moping period, which is both good and bad of course. though the song is very gray and dreary, at the same time, i remembering being comforted that there were indeed likehearted souls wandering the earth aimlessly and asking depressing questions (just like me!).

for those of you not familiar with the tune, you can check it out on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nwh3FmpZ7kg

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well. I've been watching this solipsistic melodrama play itself out for a few days now and I must say that I'm frankly disgusted. So you're just one more person who's had their identity outsourced by the information age and now you're struggling to carve out your soul in zeros and ones because that's the acceptable way that out situationist universe has predetermined you can really express yourself. And it's so Generation Y of you to realize your own insignificance and to oh so endearingly cling to some shred of hope for a life of gravity in the face of inescapable vacuity. Your hybrid car probably doesn't even cast a shadow when you drive down the street listening to Neutral Milk Hotel and contemplating what non-corporate coffeehouse you're going to stop in for your iced chai latte. You know what I think? I think you'd damn well better dye your hair green and go to Seattle immediately. That's the only hope you have for a real life. Either that or end it all now because this is not the existence you were destined for. It's not even the life your parents wanted you to live. It's barely even a life. However much you're making at your dead end job you should cash it all in for some perspective.

And also, on a lighter note, I like lists, I mean, I love lists, but seriously, who chose the order for this thing? Travis over Madonna? Seriously, that song's a cloaked message about the most intimate of intimate sexual acts. Pure poetry, in fact. And if you don't like that song, or can't respect it somehow, well, Mr. (rea)-(i), I think the problem lies in your limited understanding, not in the lyrics by Madonna and Patrick Leonard, or in the performance of the gospel choir, arranged by Andrae Crouch.

Also, I'll probably be working in Charlotte soon, so if you need a friend, or just someone to cook things so you don't hurt yourself, I'll only be a couple hours away. Honestly, we should hang out sometime. Best of luck,

Your Conscience.