Saturday, August 4, 2007

28: 1979-- the smashing pumpkins

there is not a whole lot i can say about this song. i thought it was gorgeous when i first heard it and i think it's gorgeous now. its calm with undertones of tension resonated with me early on in a way that other things i listened to at the time (bush, silverchair) did not. the song immediately brings back memories of sixth grade: playing basketball in the driveway, riding bikes around the neighborhood, hanging out at austin's. it also brings up the apprehension i remember feeling about the looming adolescent years. the song's tone and its flawless video did a lot to make me seriously ponder the music i would listen to, the things i would do as a teenager. it scared me and kindof made me excited all the same. 1979 came along when i thought it was nearly time to start being "mature." it gave me a lot to think about when i would shoot hoops after school. and i figured then that this song was the emodiment of my future.

check the vid and its rolling tires: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EWw-gsx_Io

No comments: