Wednesday, August 29, 2007

8: good vibrations-- the beach boys

an excellent song by my first ever favorite band. from ages 5 until 8, i was pretty much obsessed with the beach boys. i don't remember where it all started, but i do remember listening to the compilation 'made in the u.s.a.' over and over again. the words were easily understandable and easy to sing along to for a young kid. and since i was still afraid of mtv at this point, this was my musical outlet, something that i could listen to without the help of the radio. it also seemed more mature to me than childish songs that i didn't feel applied to me anymore. so while this whole compilation was huge for me, it was track number 14, 'good vibrations,' that ended up changing my life the most.

even at this young age, i knew something was different about that song. it didn't seem as simple or as comprehensible to me as 'fun, fun, fun' or 'barbara ann,' and that honestly puzzled me. i could not make out what they were singing about. i do remember thinking it was weird. but i also remember liking that fact. i wanted to know what it was about this song that made it seem different to me. why i would rather listen to this song than sing along or why i got so lost in it. it would be years before i would figure these things out, or at least come close to. but at least for the time being, it made me curious, and that is significant.

this song, like others on the list, has come and gone out of my life numerous times. no song on this list has probably made as many appearances at different points in my life. when i was like 12 or 13 i started to get into the more bizarre aspects of the beach boys and i loved when my uncle would tell stories about brian wilson going crazy and would play songs like 'george fell into his french horn'. this all fascinated me and re-opened my interest in 'good vibrations.' even today, this song hypnotizes me. it is like a spiral, a dizzying blur. i believe it is psychedelic pop perfection. it creates colorful collages for me now as it did then. for those reasons, and especially for opening my mind and for piquing my interest in music that challenged me, i will forever remain in brian wilson's debt.

nice suits: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdVIrE_Q2X0

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Se você quiser linkar meu blog no seu eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso.(If you speak English can see the version in English of the Camiseta Personalizada.If he will be possible add my blog in your blogroll I thankful, bye friend).